It’s football season once again. You’ve got on your team jersey and team cap, but now comes the most important part; What are you going to snack on? When choosing snacks, remember you want to maintain healthy teeth, so choose mouth friendly snacks.
Recommendations for Great Game Day Snacks:
• Cheese Plates are perfect for all types of get-togethers. Cheese is a mouth friendly food. Cheese has calcium and protein which help strengthen tooth enamel and it helps to neutralize the acids from sugary foods. Do keep in mind that cheese does have a high content of Fat, so avoid overdoing your intake.
• Raw Vegetables and Fruits are full of vitamins, mineral, and calcium and they are also low in calorie choice. Remember to eat acidic veggies and fruits such as lemons and tomatoes as part of a larger meal to minimize the acid from them.
• Nuts have plenty of protein and calcium. The best kinds of nuts are almonds and cashews. Do be aware that hard nuts can
• Sandwiches make good snacks, but remember to use whole grain bread with a small amount of mayonnaise with meats such as turkey, chicken, and or tuna.
• Beverages such as natural fruit juices and water are good drinks and if you must have a soda minimize the amount you drink. Alcohol, beer and wine are acidic and will dry out your mouth, so if you drink these drinks remember to use moderation to limit the dehydrating effect. A dry mouth leads to tooth decay and bad breath.
Regardless of what you eat on game day, remember to brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily, and visit your dentist every 6 months for your checkups.
I hope this Tooth Talk has helped and if you have any questions please feel free to call or email me at Integrity Dental Care, PLLC, dr. [email protected], (615) 445-8700.